Sunday, February 27, 2011

Next Stage - Application of Egg Tempera


I have tried to be mindful of not applying too much raw umber or sienna, because I loose my image in it, and I think it becomes too heavy and a dark and the egg tempera looses it's transparent luminosity. It 's not as easy as one might hope. Anyway I'm almost done this but I am out of eggs all except what little I have mixed up in a jar. I'll have to make this bit count. I think I may add some high lights of white sparsely.

Just a note of interest perhaps. When I was attending NSCAD as a painter, I was advised to stay away from white. My present teacher tells me he was told to stay clear of black. I never have been a big user of white, black on the other hand I never used or owned any Mars black, but mixed plenty of alizarin crimson, raw umber and ultramarine blue to make my black. Perhaps it's best to use both sparsely.

No comments: