Thursday, March 2, 2017

Thaddeus Holownia - The Man with the Steel Glasses



Thaddeus Holownia wears striking steel glasses for a practical reason. They don't break if he falls asleep before taking them off. (TED PRITCHARD / Local Xpress)



The only thing I regret about being one of the thousands of Thaddeus Holownia's students, is not being able to see his most recent exhibit at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, in Halifax.  Maybe, just maybe I'll find a way down there between now and May to see this amazing exhibition.

A life long friend Chris Sears, who himself is a talented photographer living in Toronto, posted a wonderful article about The Nature of Nature entitled, Photographer Holownia's keen perspective on display in 40-year retrospective, written by the talented and creative writer Elissa Bernard. I've read all the most recent articles about Thaddeus Holownia's exhibit but this is the one I really love!


 Maybe I'm biased because I was friends with Elissa's sister at NSCAD and we took painting together, sharing a studio space, but I don't think I'm wrong in saying, Elissa is a very gifted, thoughtful, perceptive and insightful writer and in her article she's composed an excellent reflection of the essence of Thaddeus's art work, the kind of artist he is and why he's very much admired by many, especially by his former students.

I loved these quotes by Thaddeus, which I think truly embody his philosophical ideas about art, creativity and what it means to be an artist. He's passed on his ethics of integrity and professionalism onto those students who recognize the importance and significance of what he's saying. The wise ones have incorporated his philosophy it into their own creative values and disciplined process.

“You live every day through who you are, and if you're active and awake, you make work or you don't do anything."

“I feel sorry for the people who didn't find their voice. I tell my students, 'Don't be lazy. This is a golden opportunity to make something happen, and time is the most precious commodity.' ”


No comments: