Friday, March 21, 2014

Mental Illness and Addiction




 This morning I listened to two riveting interviews, the first was with actress Glenn Close, and the other with the photographer, Graham MacIndoe
His photography project entitled All In is a glimpse into the world of his own addiction to heroin.

They both discussed topics, very close to my heart, mental illness and addiction. I have been touched and affected by both in my life. There is still a great deal of stigma toward each disease, compounded with misunderstanding, ignorance and judgement.

I hope this kind of open hearted discussion from people who have also been touched directly, or have loved ones who have been affected, will little by slowly change this messed up world of misconception and judgement. I hope you will visit the high lighted links I have posted.

I always remember that movie Panic in Needle Park with Al Pachino. It was powerful and disturbing but I think a real portrayal of addiction and was based on Bill Eppridge's photo essay for Life Magazine in 1965 about heroin addiction in for Life Magazine.



Post Script: I was able to post the interview on CBC Q this morning with Glenn Close and Graham MacIndoe, because it hadn't been posted yet on CBC Q. Here are the links to listen.

Glenn Close -   http://www.cbc.ca/q/popupaudio1.html?categoryid=1475592661

Graham MacIndoe -   http://www.cbc.ca/q/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2443500651





2 comments:

Indigene Theresa said...

Thanks for sharing this. I don't think you can live in the USA and not be affected by either in some way, shape or form. It is the reality of the 21st century.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your comment Indigene.

Well when you hear the statistics, one out of ten children suffer from treatable depression or some kind of mental illness, I think you can say the adults are more than comparable. I think about how many more are gone undiagnosed, not treated or helped.
It's the same I think world wide Indigene. A least now, people are finally are more openly talking about it. We still have a long way to go.