Thursday, February 9, 2017

Transcending The Ordinary

Organic Shallots, Jalapeño Peppers, Lunch Box Peppers, Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries
               


Organic Garlic, Leeks and Roma Tomatoes
                                          

 We are anticipating a big ole Nor'easter tonight, 25-40 cm of snow is forecast. This kind of weather is a pretty ordinary thing for Nova Scotia. It doesn't bother me that soon it will be snowing and blowing, because I'm busy growing. I've been planting seeds for Spring gardening. This means having the ability or vision to transcend the ordinary and that's creativity to me.

 This year I've made the transition to all organic gardening.

Excited to be having creative thoughts about organic gardening in the early days of February sure brightens my day and greatly enriches my life. I'll call it my Hygge health.

Now I'm just looking to get a high blueberry bush, a hanging strawberry plant, some broccoli, potatoes and then I think I should be good to go for digging in the dirt this Spring. Before I know it, the Easter season will soon be here, my favourite time of year!


Quite some time ago my interest in gardening lead me to learning about Permaculture. It's a creative design system  based on  principles and a philosophy that incorporates these three things. Caring for people, caring for the earth and everyone having a fair share, living within limits and distributing the surplus.

 "Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be." 
                                                                            - Unknown Author 


 Well the Nor'easter has arrived but I'm transcending that ordinary into a beautiful daffodil!

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

What a delightful way to spend the cold winter months! I've never heard of ground cherries before - are they related to tomatoes or more like a fruit? I used to grow herbs organically; fish emulsion and Neem spray were two of my most used tools. :)

Unknown said...

I'll tell you Bev if I didn't have my passion about growing things, writing and art, I'd be dead in the water come Winter time! Especially during snow storms! We got a big dump over three feet with complete white outs. I had a friend who actually came from the city where he works, to home for the weekend in Advocate, the village over from me and I told him he redefined the name Numb Nuts!

We are getting another big dump Monday into Tuesday. We've had a good Winter considering.

Ground Cherries I've never tried before and had never heard of them either.They are fruit for preserves, pies or over ice cream! They are sweet to the taste and have a husk paper like wrapper that will keep them for a number of weeks if like in the husks. They grow to 24 inches tall. Looking forward to tasting those little delights!