Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Suggestions For Art Students

Lauren Purje - Artist


Well I think I will always be an art student in the sense that though I am no longer attending University studying Fine Art, I still am always learning and intend to do so for the rest of my days.

But I do remember well, my early youth as a 21 year old art student at the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in Halifax in the 70s. To say it was a wild time would be an understatement.
Although I wanted to learn all about art, I can't say I was the best student because my motivation wasn't the most well intended.
I was preoccupied, with wanting to escape my small Nova Scotia town, for the city. I was interested in boys and parties; not good way to start off University life and studies.

Upon returning to school in 2009, at Mount Allison University, in Sackville, New Brunswick, as a mature student at 56 years of age, needless to say my perspective had  profoundly changed. What hadn't changed was that I observed the same kind of behaviours that I displayed, when I was first a young art student.



I am not one to give advice but I will give suggestions, if asked. I've not been asked, but I will speak from my own experience if I had it to do over again, and ask, what would I say to my young 21 year old self? Here's my list.

1.Wait until you are really ready to attend University.

2. Don't go to University for the wrong reasons.

3. Don't drink excessively.

4. Don't abuse substances.

5. Stay clear of getting emotionally involved with boys.

6. Make sure you are disciplined or know how to apply yourself without getting distracted by the social life,     especially parties where there is lots of booze and dope.

These cartoons simplify some important suggestions to those who are either thinking about studying art, or who are about to begin their studies in the coming Fall.

I don't believe in luck, so instead of wishing all those young art students luck, I'll say, I will pray for you!
And for those of you that are looking to Grad school...you need some serious prayer!



No comments: