Sunday, June 26, 2016

What I Learned About Creativity Today In The Garden




Gardening always gives me a great sense of being connected to myself and to the environment, and I know it's good for my creativity.

Today I had some specific goals I wanted to get accomplished, that all involved working outside. I quickly got the first bit done, finishing off mowing a small patch of lawn that didn't get done a few days back, because I mistakenly had left the cap off my gas container and rain water got added to my gas. It crossed my mind that I might have water in the gas but I hoped that rain didn't get into the jug, but I the small amount of gas in the mower any way and didn't give it any more thought. I should have thought about it before I put it in, because then of course this caused my lawn mower to crap out, which I had to get fixed.

I don't have a tiller, which means I dig, dig, dig to turn over my soil to prepare for planting and transplanting. So I tackled that chore after I mowed. Yes, it's hard physical work, but I do love it, being good exercise and a great way to cope with or prevent stress and it clears out the cob webs in my mind.

 Fact being it was after I'd finished the chore, I'd immediately realized I pushed myself way too hard, out in the sun too long, during the hottest part of the day. When I finally stopped I was feeling weak, and frankly pretty weird and thought I might faint. When I came in I dragged my sorry butt upstairs to use the bathroom. I was now feeling both nauseated and light headed. I immediately flopped down on my bed in exhaustion and soon recovered.

The old adage of hindsight being 50/50 I'm sure came into being because of people like me doing things before really thinking about them.

If I don't think about what I'm doing before I do it, I'll end up having to do it again or make a good situation not so good, and even problematic, otherwise this gets in the way of my creativity no matter what I'm doing.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't leave the cap off the gas jug.
2. If the cap has been left off and the jug is outside, don't use the gas.

3. Don't dig in the garden during the heat of the day.

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

Sounds like you had a case of heat exhaustion. Hope you are drinking plenty of water and staying cool - feel better soon!

Unknown said...

I think you're right Bev! Never had anything quite like that. I'm always conscientious about working outside in the sun in the heat of the day. I'm not a sun worshiper and even have an allergy to it. I wasn't thinking, just had a one track thought and that was to get digging! Dug myself into a lather! Won't be doing that again!
I going to get myself a water bottle and a wide brimmed hat!
Thank you <3