Sunday, June 12, 2016

Roy Henry Vickers - "The Medicine of the Healer..."

B.C. artist Roy Henry Vickers (Robert “Lucky" Budd)



I've been doing a lot of thinking about First Nations spiritual philosophy lately, and on Thursday it was timely to hear an interview with an artist I was unfamiliar with. Roy Henry Vickers is First Nations and has a very insightful and personal vision into the world of addiction and recovery and how his art helps him to tell stories that heal.
" The medicine of the healer is stories."



 Oh Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the wind
Whose breathe gives life to the world
Hear me
I come to you as one of many children´s
I´m small and weak, I need your strength and your wisdom
May I walk in beauty
May my eyes ever be hold the red and purple sunset
Make my hands respect the things that you have made
And my ears sharp to hear your voice
Make me wise, so there I may know the teachings you have for your children´s
The lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock
MAKE ME STRONG , not to be superior to my brothers and sisters
But to fight my greatest enemy My self
Make ever ready to come to you with straight eyes
So when life is as a sunset, my spirit will come to you
Without shame

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

When my daughter was young, we had "home church" where we talked about spiritual principles in a way that someone her age could understand. I learned quickly that something I said was easily forgotten, but a wisdom tale told was easily remembered. :)

Unknown said...

That's such a perfect example of how and why stories are so powerful. Thank you Bev for sharing that!<3