Sunday, January 19, 2014

In The Name of Love, I Can't Afford Toilet Paper.



Jacobin Magazine has published a very poignant article, Do What You Love
by .

What a great article, and so very true!

I can't imagine what it would be like to be able to have enough money, that I didn't have to worry about making a living, and could always afford to do whatever my heart desired.

Alas my reality is that artists including myself, and many other folk are subsisting from day to day, pay cheque to pay cheque, and sure as shit can't even afford to be poor!

In my opinion, it's simply more of the same left over crap from the industrial revolution, and sadly it is on the increase, every where. I believe it is more covert ideology these days, rather that overt, as in the past. However poverty is still seen as a moral issue and  along with this there is always some kind of value judgement attached. In this case underlying message of, the love what you do mantra is, don't worry about money! Oh you're poor, and you don't love your shit job? Hell, you just don't love it enough or it's just your fault for being miserably poor, and you need to explore your "inner space" that's all! What psychobabble dribble!

Well I don't own a gun, and I never will, but I have been in the unenviable position of not being able to afford toilet paper regardless if I'm doing what I love or not!

No comments: