Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Living Language


Presently I just started my non-fine art elective Spring classes as per required for my BFA degree so I can graduate next Spring.

It's a little , perhaps considerably different, for me being enrolled in classes other than Fine Arts. I do keep making connections with what I am studying right now, and my Fine Art studio, Art Seminar and Art History classes, I just completed over the past year. There are some obvious connections with my Introduction to Poetry and the Linguistics class, The Introduction to Language. They both are the expressions of living language, which can be a very imaginative process that is enabled within a disciplined structure.

Studying the composition of the Sonnet, the powerful imagery of William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience, lend themsleves to great imaginings, simultaneously built upon a foundation, much like a solid under drawing done before starting a painting.

Linguistics, language and their structure, phonetics and phonology, can be somewhat clinical, but very compelling and allows for a greater understanding of the why and how of it's meaning and function, on a myriad of levels. Language is truly a mystery and a miracle. The meanings of words and sounds among every living creature on earth is really a fascinating study and it is an ongoing education.

If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.


Nelson Mandela

"Through learning language, we learn about culture.
Through learning about culture, we learn respect for others.
Through learning respect for others, we can hope for peace."

No comments: