Monday, November 24, 2008

SAD

I was talking to a creative friend this morning. He'd mentioned to me that he suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder. I know a few people who have this. I think we can all be affected by the lack of light and good weather. I can find myself feeling very glum when there is extreme cold and wind. It can just make think about crawling into bed and staying there.



I often wonder what part this plays affecting artists and their motivation to get actively creating. I am really of the opinion I can overcome it or at least work through it, just making myself do the work at hand and then I find my motivation and am feeling better because I have accomplished something, but I think getting my mind focused on the positive makes the difference in my frame of mind. I know it is much easier said than done. I do remember what one of my respected art teacher's said, "When you don't feel like drawing, that's the time you need to draw." I found this to be true. This is just what seems to work for me, but I don't expect that it is so easy for everyone. At the same time I don't have to by into the myth or idea of the tortured artist living in some garret either, because the light has left our world. But a little sunshine would sure be nice when bad the weather comes around in the Winter, and it is so cold you think your grannies preserves will freeze!



Well I'm off to put another log on that fire. Where'd I put that fur underwear?



Warmest Regards - Catherine



No comments: