Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Fear and the Artist


                                              Art & Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland.


"You have to do things you're afraid of, not the things you like. If you do things you like, you'll never change and you'll do the same mistakes over and over again."

These are wise words. Since I was a kid I always challenged myself to try and overcome the things that I feared. I'm still this way, but this doesn't mean I'm not fearful, on the contrary. I simply hard to trust in myself, in others and in the God of my understanding to help me to face my fears and to have faith that I am going to have courage and faith to live life on life's terms.

I greatly admire individuals who admit their fear but do the things that they are afraid of doing, regardless of their fear. The one thing I would caution against is being reckless. Recklessness isn't wise in my opinion, because we not only can damage ourselves, but we can also hurt others, especially those we love. We all have to discern what it means to cross that line of facing fear and being reckless.

The artist who stated the above quote was interviewed this morning on the radio, and is someone I greatly admire, not only because I think she is a remarkable artist facing her own fear, but is also very open to great love.

You can find out who this individual is at this link.

No comments: