Sunday, April 24, 2011

Try a little ‘hattitude' this Easter | used, hats, early - Don a bonnet - The Telegraph

Try a little ‘hattitude' this Easter | used, hats, early - Don a bonnet - The Telegraph

god send easter

and we will lace the
jungle on
and step outbrilliant as birds
against the concrete country
feathers waving as we
dance toward jesus
sun reflecting mango
and apple as we
glory in our skin.

- Lucille Clifton

When I was little it was always a big deal getting an Easter bonnet, a bonding ritual that took place every year between my mother and me. I looked so forward to it because I felt special having my mother spending time with me, while we went searching for just the right Easter bonnet. Every Easter I get a nostalgic for that special time gone by. I think it is a tradition that woman would benefit from again today, not because it is a celebration of Spring, rebirth, resurrection, but a a kind of bonding and right of passage between mother and daughter who love God. As well I see it as an opportunity for women to celebrate being women together in a world of beauty, as symbols of hope, valuing the importance of ritual, tradition, and the family of the God of our understanding.

No comments: