Friday, March 13, 2015

"Are You Too Old To Do What You Really Love?"

Julia Cameron


“But do you know how old I will be by the time I learn to really play the piano / act / paint / write a decent play?"
Yes . . . the same age you will be if you don't.”
― Julia Cameron, The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

I went to the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design ( NSCAD) in the 70s. I wasn't able to finish my degree in my last year. It wore heavy on my heart for thirty years. I continued with my art work, and supported myself with various jobs, namely as a Youth Care Worker. I finally was able to return as a mature student to finish my BFA at the age of 56 in 2009. If I had let my age stop me, I'd never have been able to fulfill my dream and goal of attending  Mount Allison University in the Fine Art program, and having graduated in 2012. It was a wonderful experience, but you must want it, need to be able to think for yourself, keep an open mind, believe in yourself, and do the work.

When I was in my 20s, I was no where ready to attend University, but I do not regret it for a minute. NSCAD was quite a remarkable experience in the 70s, full of change, feminism, art adventures and some amazing teachers.
I think one of the main reasons I went back to school several times in my life is because I love learning, especially life long learning. We are never too old to learn.


Going to art school is very stimulating. You learn a discourse, interact with other artists, build confidence, learn so many skills, and network.
I would highly recommend anyone to go get themselves into a Fine Art program and get a degree, if art is your passion, you think can afford it, and you are really ready.

If a person loves and wants to be a teacher, doctor, lawyer, or any other profession, no one would ever think not going to University to get a degree is a good idea, so why would we entertain the idea it is okay not to bother getting a degree in the study of art.

Of course a degree does not make or a guarantee good artist, nor a good doctor etc., but it sets a standard of professionalism that I believe is crucial. Most of all it has been and is still essential that I love what I do whatever it is I choose, whatever my age.

No comments: