Monday, May 16, 2016

Sagging Panty Hose and Graduation Day



 

As a creative kid with an over active imagination, I was pretty typical as a young student in public school. I was bored, had little to no interest in the main stream lined education being offered, and was generally a 'bad' student. I could hardly wait to get out of there, and that's just what I did. Never did I ever imagine myself then, what I would be doing in the far away future, as an adult, but I did want to go to University, but never excelled academically.

Four years ago, I was sweating in a graduation gown, walking across the Mount Allison University Convocation Hall stage, with badly sagging panty hose. It was Graduation Day. It is hard to believe it was that many years ago, and I'll never wear panty hose again!.

 As a mature student it was pretty surreal. I felt like I'd really finally arrived as a mature adult, and was more than ready to gratefully be among the Fine Art Graduates at Mount Allison University. I truly was the best day of my life.

I found this link on line about education and the statement was made that all education is self-education. It is also life long learning. You can have degrees up the ying-yang but still not have a thirst for learning. You can go through the motions of obtaining that piece of paper, but if you don't have that innate desire and passion for learning, it's really a waste of your time, energy and money.

The internet offers immediate access to endless free open source education from Universities world wide and provides a really exciting opportunity for any one to learn in the comfort of you own home or space, and you'll never have to worry about walking across a stage with sagging pantyhose.

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

I love the idea that all education is self-education, and agree heartily. My dad was like you - tolerated high school long enough to get out. But after spending years on the Miami Highway Patrol force, he went back and got a degree in teaching (police, deputies). He discovered he loved learning so much he went back and got two more degrees - a PhD in exercise physiology and a technical degree in carpentry. He always said he never could get over how age can change your view of learning. :) He went from a unmotivated, bored student to a true Renaissance man!

Unknown said...

What an inspiring story Bev! I LOVE hearing about people going back to school and finding out that they are on fire to learn! Thank you SO much for sharing about your amazing Renaissance father! <3