Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Feather Fur and Fin

Glaciers are losing mass in the North Cascades, where Pelto's father has done work for decades monitoring glacier retreat and related changes. Annual glacier mass balance data is represented in the painting.
Credit: Jill Pelto



Fifty years ago when I was 12 years old, I had a friend whose mum and dad had been immigrants from Denmark. Her mother was very much a mother, a house wife and gave both my friend, her daughter and I an education that really stuck with me all these years. She was ahead of her time, in that she told us about what she called the green house effect, why white bread was not good for us and a number of other health lessons with photo illustrated textbooks. When I reflect on that time spent in Annette's kitchen with her mother, who opened our eyes wide about such serious adult matters, I didn't realize then how pertinent those lessons would become later in my life. We may of been 12 years old, but we understood this information was important.

Regardless if you call it global warming, climate change or the greenhouse effect is irrelevant, because the fact is, it is here and for me it has become the number one concern, because I love our earth and all of it's inhabitants, the two legged, the four legged, feather, fur and fin.

As David Suzuki says we must remain hopeful for our children. We must not loose hope and we must continue to work at saving out planet, if we want our earth to be here for future generations.

When artists can make their art a vehicle to get this message across about climate change, it can be a powerful way to inform and change the world. Danny Michel is one such artist, as is Jill Pelto.








Moments of Observation - Jill Pelto





Severn Cullis-Suzuki

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

I still can't wrap my brain around the idea that some people (even politicians!) think climate change is something made up. My mom travels extensively, and she's compared photos of glacial areas over the years - there is no way anyone could look at such evidence and not realize it is true! Kudos to the artists who use their skills to make people aware of it.

Unknown said...

I know Bev it's a hard one to figure and what's even more difficult is understanding how and why people collectively and consciously continue to pollute the land, air and water and all living things with no thought of ever being finite or that they are doing any harm with by this carelessness.
It's all about money and greed, a pure disregard and disconnect from the environment.