Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Darkness Saved Me




The Darkness Saved Me

ebb8bd650cd2c070f491af7a812b4c55



This time of year always fills me with thoughts about the light and the dark. I think about how we need both in ever aspect of our lives.
The extremes of Winter weather lately are one day like Spring, next day a big Winter storm.. My thoughts are often about Spring in the dead of Winter. I try to embrace Winter, even though I really dislike it’s psychological confinements.
Trying to embrace the short days filled with darkness, makes it a bit easier to accept and to even like whatever I can. I become introspective and solitary in the Winter months.
When I first heard this song, The Darkness by Rose Cousins, it resonated so much with me. It really speaks a truth that we all can identify with I think.
Like my wise and gifted friend Indigene Theresa  said to me,   “The darkness is a major part of who we are and learning to acknowledge all our parts, allow us to be complete.”
I have to say the  darkness saved me from myself.




The Darkness - Rose Cousins

To take a light into the dark is to know the light
To know the dark
Go into the dark
You can lock the door yeah you know how
You can stay alone, you’re so proud
But you can’t keep the darkness out
Oh you’re probably the strongest one I know
You got to the thickest skin
You got weight to throw
You can’t keep the darkness out
You can’t keep the darkness out
Whatever hurt you, what keeps you mad
Wants you to let it go, let it pass
When memories turn to doubt
You can’t keep the darkness out
Oh the dark is a river
and though it may divide
If you wade into it
With your arms open wide
Let it take you with it
Oh you don’t have to fight
It will provide, it will provide
There’s nothing wrong
with the heart in your chest
It might be heavy but it’s innocent
And it can’t keep the darkness out
You can’t keep the darkness
You can’t keep the darkness
You can’t keep the darkness
To take a light into the darkness is to know the light
To know the dark
Go into the dark
To take a light into the darkness is to know the light
To know the dark
Go into the dark

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

Boy, that quote from Oliver really resonates with me. I often want to make the darkness about someone else, about how they need to be different. But actually it is about how I respond or react to it, how I use it to grow or use it to blame.

Unknown said...

You're a wise woman Bev. It resonated with me too.

I remember many years ago I ended up having to work and live on a very remote Island with a women whom I absolutely could not stand. Everything about us was different. I had to make up my mind to accept her as she was, and I expect she may have had to do the same. I learned more about myself than if I hadn't had that experience, and we ended up as friends.

If only we spent more energy trying to find the gifts and the lessons found in the darkness it would be so much easier for us, if we could just change our perspective.