Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Powerful Daguerreotype - Photographs Without Negatives

Richard Learoyd, “Jasmijn” (2011), camera obscura Ilfochrome photograph, 58 x 48 in (image, sheet & mount), shown at Paris Photo (© Richard Learoyd, courtesy Fraenkel Gallery, San Francisco)


There are some photographs created by certain photographers, that cause you to immediately fall in love with their work. Richard Learoyd  is one such photographer, that I just found out about today. Not sure how I missed this guy!

 He has immersed himself in the traditional method of what is described as being " antiquarian of photographic processes: the camera obscura. " These traditional processes is what made me passionate about  photography, and about the process. Richard Learoyd's employs the process of photographs without negatives.

Being exposed to the work of such artists like Robert Frank, Dianne Arbus, Richard Avedon, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Sally Mann, Annie Leibovitz and my own wonderful teacher, Thaddeus Holownia deepened my appreciation, and love for this art and the admiration I have for these artists.

Being a painter I understand, and greatly appreciate the connection between painting and photography. These photographs of Richard Learoyd have that quality. Call me old fashioned, but nothing quite compares to the powerful quality of daguerreotype.

If I wasn't a painter, I'd be a photographer!


No comments: