Monday, March 14, 2011

What to write today?

Holy crap. I love writing but some days are dry as dirt and I can't think of anything to write. Oh I have my Canadian Art History journaling I could write about but I'll get to that this week. Thank goodness the term is just about done I starting to slowly fizzle out not unlike most of my fellow students.

Oh this just in...I will be attending a workshop tonight at Struts Gallery here in Sackville with the artist in residence by the name of Ray Fenwick. He has been involved with improvisation which is right up my alley. Something I feel I have spent a lot of my life doing, living by the seat of my pants. Maybe it has something to do with growing up in an alcoholic home and being in a perpetual vigilant state of maybe it's just life as a single woman, or a bit of both.

When I was attending Mime School Unlimited in Toronto in 1980 we did a lot of improv, and I realized I worked much better with others as opposed to solo. If I had of known what I know now I would have sought out Second City and tried to get in there. I did get an opportunity a few years back when I went to audition for a reality show called, The Next Comedy Legend for Second City, when they came to Halifax.

My friend Christie she drove me down after I had been sleep deprived in the worst way. Needless to say it was the was one of the most scariest but exhilarating experiences of my life and I got to meet one of my all time comedy idols, Joe Flarhety. He was the sweetest, kindest man and I made him laugh and that was golden for me. A dream come true. The other was meeting Julian, from the Trailer Park Boys, in the kitchen of Bubbles Mansion where the auditions were held. The guy is built like a brick shit house!

The premise of the show was ridiculous and Joe Flarhety eventually quit because he felt it was a useless exercise to try and discover or manufacture a comedian, and how it pitted one contestant against the other quite unfairly. The show was a flop.

I've embedded the clip of the Halifax taping and if you look real close and don't blink you'll see me. Good luck in finding it. I'm the one with the checker red and black Apple River dinner jacket, puffed up cheeks a flailing arms. In the commercials for the show I was in split screened with Mike Myers because we were both wearing the same kind of dinner jacket with a cap. That was also a huge thrill because I have been his biggest fan since SCTV days and SNL.

Well I guess I had something to write about after all.




No comments: