Monday, July 20, 2015

Eminem M&M's or MM?



There's Eminem, M&M's and then there is MM. ( Making Art Making Money). The latter, this is the one I want to talk about.

 The business of art requires having an online presence as an artist. It is a good thing and essential. It gives you great opportunity to network, to get your work and your name out there into cyberspace exposure, and to hopefully make some serious scratch.

 Ok I confess I haven't been one to sell my work on line, with the exception of one occasion. I met up with the client, and it all worked out very amicably. If it works, great, but it's not for everyone. There are advantages and disadvantages. It light of all that, it's still important to have an online presence.

I am a person who'd rather interact face to face and often many who purchase my work are actually friends, which is really very satisfying. I still have lots of room for improving my business skills and there is loads of information on the web to learn how to do this and I love that.

I shy away from physically commercial gallery settings. I find them somewhat elitist, and I'd much rather avoid the middle person who can often be the one who financially benefits or decides what they will or won't accept when it comes to exhibiting your work, and I don't like that.

The internet can level the playing field, and generally is the great equalizer. It can remove the intimidation and competitive factor. As well, you don't have to have a lot of money in order to get exposure. The online art community I have found to be welcoming, supportive and so informative, which is extremely beneficial and encouraging.

As an artist I love it when I can share what has helped me and when others return the same. To me that's what makes the world go round, helping each other. And so I want to share with you today a great link, 25 resources for artists that I think you will find helpful to your business of being an artist, if you are so inclined.

Artist/Entrepreneur Ann Rea, whom I LOVE,  has recently, and very generously offered some wonderful videos from her site Artists Who Thrive entitled MM ( Making Art Making Money). These are fantastico! I made that word up. :)


No comments: