Saturday, January 22, 2011

Writing, Painting, Procrastination, Motivation, Masturbation



I have just finished writing four large pages in my brand new sketch book. I had been putting off writing in it. Daunted I suppose once again by the white, blank page. It's just like the white blank canvas. I have a completed drawing waiting to be painted on a large piece of primed masonite.


I am taking on the challenge of egg tempera. I have all I need now to start. So I have done all the writing I've needed to do for the day with the exception of this last blog entry.I have no excuse to procrastinate on this painting.
There was a fellow on CBC radio that has a book about procrastination and motivation and. I must get this book as soon as I get around to it!
A good friend once told me this. "Procrastination is like masturbation, the only person you screw is yourself!"

http://www.danpink.com/drive



What is procrastination?
Procrastination is the deferment or putting-off of an action or task, usually by focusing on some other distraction. It derives from the Latin words pro (a prefix meaning "for") and cras (meaning "tomorrow").

Procrastination can be a persistent trait in some people, known as chronic procrastinators. In these people, it can be a self-destructive state where the procrastinator can get nothing accomplished on time, resulting in serious career struggles, persistent financial problems, and diminished quality of life.


Natural Law #1
procrastination naturally occurs when faced with events that are unpleasent, complex, lengthy, or uninteresting - regardless of the priority

The mnemonic device for procrastinate is:

•uncle-unpleasant
•clark-complex
•loves-lengthy
•underwear-uninteresting


When you procrastinate about things that take over 45 mins you should break them down in to smaller pieces and then set dates for each piece.


Natural Law #2
- we change our lives by changing our attitudes and perceptions we become most what we think about ourselves.

No comments: