Monday, February 6, 2017

I'm Diggin' Deep




http://www.fransorin.com/


I always thought there was a strong connection between creativity and digging deep into the earth, whether it be growing plants indoors or working in a garden.

From my earliest memories of spending time with my grandfather in his garden, voluntarily working in a large farm gardens as a teenager to eventually growing my own gardens as an adult, all have not only been therapeutic but has directly increase my creativity. I say this because actively growing things improves our mind, body and soul, everything we need for having optimum creative lives.

If you're any thing like me who gets the Winter Blues or what is commonly called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) you'll know what I'm talking about. The lack of light, short days and long cold nights, snow storms, all can really do a number on your mood. Like Cajun Man on SNL use to say DEPRESSION! It helps to have a good sense of humour and so I watch a lot of comedy.

 I've never been a Winter person and try as I might to "embrace" the season, the only dang thang I've come to embrace, is the fact that I'll never be a Winter person and I'll never like the cold!

 So now that all that's been said and I've got that out of my system I tell you what I've noticed today.
The light, the sun has increased probably by half an hour. Tonight at 5:30 p.m., there was still natural light, as opposed to December 28th the shortest day of the year, with the time change which makes it even worse, it was completely dark by 5:00 p.m.

 It's easy when you are in the dark days of Winter to loose awareness that the light is indeed increasing, but today was the first day I really noticed.

Then it dawned on me. I need to plant some seeds! I've received some seeds and garlic in the mail and perused my seed catalogues, and even planted my in the Fall. But right now today,  exactly the time to get tomato, pepper, and leeks seeds planted indoors on my warming grow mat,! So I hopped right up, grabbed those seeds,  my grow mat, made markers for them and planted those little dojiggers and set them in a sunny window.

 Wow! Immediately I could feel my mood improving and when I was done I was felt so good knowing things would be sprouting up in no time and I'll be ready for Spring!

Something that especially helped me this year actually, kinda, sorta enjoy, and get me through Winter was learning what the word Hygge meant, which I wrote about in my blog Eudemonia.

So today my seed planting has arrived just on time, because my Christmas Hygge has run a little thin. I'm  moving onto the Spring Hygge now!





No comments: