Friday, March 25, 2016

Rise Up Singing




I woke up close to six a.m. this morning to glorious special program of all Gospel music, called, Rise Up Singing. I would have loved to have posted it for you to listen to, but I couldn't find it.

What a grand program to hear on this Good Friday. The first song I heard was the beautiful late Eva Cassidy sing an old hymn by Robert Wadsworth called, How Can I keep From Singing. Wow! I'd never hear it before. Here are the lyrics, and I've posted the video below.

My life goes on in endless song
above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
that hails a new creation.
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?
While though the tempest loudly roars,
I hear the truth, it liveth.
And though the darkness 'round me close,
songs in the night it giveth.
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
while to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
how can I keep from singing?
When tyrants tremble sick with fear
and hear their death knell ringing,
when friends rejoice both far and near
how can I keep from singing?
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
while to that rock I'm clinging.
Since love is lord of heaven and earth
how can I keep from singing?
My life goes on in endless song
above earth's lamentations,
I hear the real, though far-off hymn
How can I keep from singing?
How can I keep from singing?


In my morning fog I hoped to remember this song and all the other artists I heard, so I could do a search and share them with you. There were two other artists that stood out for me, that I'd not heard before. The first one was Sister Gertrude Morgan, a preacher and a folk artist from New Orleans who died in 1980. The video I have posted is a compilation of her songs and her art work. She would sing and perform on the streets of New Orleans and accompany herself on nothing but her tambourine. Interestingly a recording artist King Britt remixed her songs and music, producing a record, called Lets Make a Record, which I really like.
Sister Gertrude was what is known as a Prayer Warrior.



  



I love the Easter season and everything about it, both sorrow and happiness. Spring and Easter are early this year which works out just fine, being that there is still snow on the ground, and some nasty weather about. Easter and Spring always lift the spirit, after the long Winter and lack of light.





Solomon Burke has been called the best male gospel singer ever. His song, None of Us are Free is powerfully moving, and relevant to the world we live in today, because there are so many still not free and we need to raise our voice and keep on singing this message of hope until we are all free.

No comments: