Thursday, April 21, 2011

Words Can't Express



Sometimes I think, it would be so much better if we could communicate through simple noises, much like our fellow fur friends. I do enjoy communicating with my critter friends. They always understand me!

As much as I love expressing myself verbally and through the written word on many occasions, I find the English language is just not adequate to impart feelings that you have and wish for another to understand. Perhaps this is why as artists we use art as a medium to enable and allow for greater expression.

The challenges, obstacles and struggles I have had over the past year has given me a deeper understanding of who I am as a person, and who others are as people also. Much of what I have learned about myself, I appreciate and even love, however I know there is still a great deal I have to improve upon and change. I know an important lesson in learning about oneself is to be honest, open and willing to accept people, places and things. Happiness is the antecedent of gratitude.

I heard something on CBC radio the other day that made so much sense to me. The topic was a discussion surrounding happiness. The women being interviewed stated, that what was more important than the pursuit of happiness, was the happiness to be found, in the pursuit. That made a lot of sense to me and I related this to the importance of the journey as opposed to the destination.

Today was the last of two days left of this third year at University today, finishing up my last projects. I had a special time with three of my very wonderful instructors this past week, and they have made me very happy, because they have helped me find my way, my focus and in immeasurable ways, that I may never be able to repay.

As a mature student, about to embark upon my last year of University, I think to myself, I'd never been able to have had this same experience, at a younger age. I certainly know, that my early experience and education at NSCAD was nothing, to what these past two years have been, and they have truly been exceptional. I do, acutely and profoundly realize how very significant and priceless learning is and more importantly it has become more so for me now, impart, due to the mutual exchange between adults, teacher and student, who learn from one another. There is no hierarchy, but there is deep respect and great fondness for one another.

I know it can be very easy to become cynical toward one's fellow man because people can be very unkind, but they can also be very kind. I once saw a young punk rocker in a coffee shop wearing a button that said, " Hope For The Hopeless". I always remember that, because it makes me laugh, and helps me to remember that there is always hope, in spite of whatever the circumstance.

I have had to hitch hike to school for 53 days, depending on the kindnesses and generosity of others to help me through many difficult times, right up to the present. It has deepened my belief in the kindness of the human spirit, including my own, and for this I am full of gratitude and it makes me very happy, in spite of the woman that gave me the finger when she drove by, while I was on the side of the road, just before one those very kind human souls picked me up and drove me home.

No comments: