Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Painting Landscape Fall 2010 /Jian Ghomeshi

Well I have finally come to the point in my studies where I can look forward to working on specific independent projects in the coming New Year. I can see landscape painting outside just like the Group of Seven in my near future! Oh to have known Tom Thomson!





I am now heading into my final year at Mount Allison. I have to say that although I am anxious and very excited about the prospect of the day of my graduation, I also know I will miss this wonderful learning experience. I realize more poignantly how beneficial it is to be surrounded by creativity  in such a vital arts community of Sackville, New Brunswick, what Jian Ghomeshi from CBC  Radio "Q",  called,  the cultural mecca of Canada, during his lecture at Convocation Hall on November 19th, 2010, for the Presidential Lecture Series. He was most engaging, riveting, down to earth, humourous and yes, I must say, very handsome and charming. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my face.


I was able to get a bird's eye view , sitting directly in the front of him in the middle of the front row. My heart be still. I was a little excited I admit much like a young school girl, all be it only in my mind!


After the lecture he invited everyone to ask questions. I was sure to get up there and ask mine and comment on his collected demeanor during the infamous Billy Bob CBC Radio interview. When I asked what was going on with him, he said he thought Billy Bob had underestimated CBC radio and Canadian's intelligence, and was not doing any regular shtick as he claims in the media on such shows as David Letterman.


That said, I love Jian, CBC radio, popular culture, Canada, being Canadian, landscape painting and being a mature but not grown up, Mount Allison student!


Here is my last painting project for the Fall term; a landscape of my favourite view of Apple River , Nova Scotia. It is acrylic and oil pastel on 12" x 4 '. I have done versions of this view but never one of this size. It was a very satisfying process. 


Next term I intend and look forward to be working in egg tempera medium on masonite.  


I want to clarify, I have not been nor have I ever seen myself as a landscape painter. It was something I never even imagined doing however living in very rural Nova Scotia I have finally embraced and been greatly influenced by the awesome and gentle sacred beauty of where I live and I now have the desire to reflect and share this in my art work.



Apple River

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Although I've never been to Apple River, your wonderful painting
has indeed captured, for me, what
must be the essence of that place.
Sky,land and water in panorama.
Stunning !

Unknown said...

Awww thank you Bart, it means a lot to me you saying so.