Monday, October 24, 2016

Wade Davis - Diversity - The Root of Creativity and Culture

Wade Davis


Canadian Wade Davis is a man and a mentor I greatly admire for everything he does. He's been described as an anthropologist, ethnobotanist, writer, poet and photographer and I'm certain he wears many more hats than I've mentioned.

 As a explorer-in-residence for National Geographic, his work has focused on worldwide indigenous cultures over a period of thirteen years.

Artists allow us to live and learn vicariously through their life experiences. Wade Davis sure does that for me with his incredible photographs he's taken over the years in his travels, to parts of the world none of us could even imagine existed.

What Wade Davis says about how all things on our earth are all connected is profound and deeply wise on so many levels. It's information we need to understand, to heed and actualize in our lives if we are going to survive as a planet and species.  

I heard him talk this morning about the importance of diversity, which I believe is at the root of creativity and culture. This is what he had to say on The Current about the disappearance of diverse world cultures.

2 comments:

thesycamoretree said...

Thank you for sharing the link to Wade Davis' photography. I found his photos to be beautiful, insightful and moving. :)

Unknown said...

Oh you're SO welcome Bev. I'm happy you looked at them. I could listen to him for hours. He is so full of wisdom. I don't know for sure, but listening to the way he talks about spiritual matters he refers to Buddhism a lot and I suspect he is a Buddhist.

He is on par with Margret Mead, and Jane Goodall.