Sunday, April 6, 2014

Monkey Brain and The Confessional Box of Paints



I've been feeling a little burdened for a variety of reasons lately. I can pretty much pinpoint all of the reasons why. But I found out I'm being burdened by my monkey brain, and this is primarily what my blog post is about today.

Confession is good for the soul. I haven't anything I want to confess necessarily, but do want to honestly express my thoughts on something I've been dealing with this past week especially. It helps to resolve issues we're struggling with, when we openly talk about them. It enables clarity, and especially for women, talking helps us makes sense of our world.

So I went searching on line about the topic of loneliness, and how this effects artists. It's a topic I think some of us are often in denial about. It's something we know we have to face and accept, as does everyone in this life at some point. We can't deny it. However, for artists we're often alone, as our work is solitary and we know that, prior to taking up the profession. Occasionally I think we can be living too much in our heads, and we can loose perspective, especially if we live alone.

 I believe for many artists, art becomes our therapy of sorts, and it enables us to cope with being alone or lonely. Perhaps more often than not, we might be stressed by something, or troubled in one way or another. We get used to being alone, even in a crowd, but it can become problematic, and something we need to be mindful of as artists.

I've learned to be comfortable in my own skin, especially being 60+ years of age, and often prefer solitude and being alone, although I do love people. I'd be lying if I said I don't ever get lonely, I do, and lately have been feeling this loneliness especially after a long rough Winter. I attribute it to a number of reasons but primarily, I believe I'm mostly frustrated with the feeling of being overwhelmed with chores I have to do around the house. I can get lured into talking myself into to simply avoiding what I need to do, as I'm only answerable and accountable to no one but myself. I think the fact is, I don't much even like my own company lately. I'm the only one that can change that.

I found a great blog by the an artist Chris Palbicki, called 5 Ways To Whip The Crap Outta Loneliness.

The second blog, Wait But Why, with this great post, Why Procrastinators Procrastinate.  I'm not a huge procrastinator. Oh don't get me wrong, I've had some " finer " moments that have gotten me into some mega problems, but 've definitely gotten better over the years. I still have my moments with that monkey brain freak, and it's still problematic. But I certainly am grateful to learn more about it and understand how it works.

I must say, I do feel better for having talked about this and ' purged ' myself. I've decided I'm now going to brake it on down into steps, what I want to accomplish, so I don't feel so overwhelmed and whip the crap out of my monkey brain!


No comments: