Friday, July 10, 2009

School


I hated school, not learning, but the way public school approached teaching and how memorizing was more important than whether or not you learned anything that would be practical to your life. It was more about regurgitating what you memorized for an exam and if you forgot it immediately after, it made little difference to anyone.Reducing everyone to the lowest common denominator, that was the goal. There was never any sense of the individual being nurtured or encouraged.

I heard a man on C.B.C radio, the program, Ideas. His name was John Taylor Gatto. He taught 25 years in the New York public school system and he was an awarded teacher of the year, for New York State. He explains it all very well how the school system works, or doesn't work. He has written a book entitled, Dumbing Us Down. He talks about the seven lessons that are taught in schools generally.

1.Confusion

2.Class position

3.Indifference

4.Emotional dependency

5.Intellectual dependency

6.Provisional self-esteem

7.One can't hide

If you are interested in his web site it is www.johntaylorgatto.com It clarifys it all for me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marcos ,I have added you to my blogs that I follow. Thank you so much for reading my blog, it is very much appreciated. I look forward to seeing more of what you are doing and will be watching your films. I am humbled . Thank you.